Browse Exhibits (4 total)

康雁屏現代水墨 Brenda Hong’s Exhibition







戴桂冠書法選 Mr. Day Kwei Kwan's Calligraphy





戴桂冠先生聯絡電郵 :



Scroll paintings from the Lingnan Foundation


這裡展示的繪畫掛軸為美國嶺南基金會於2008年捐贈予嶺南大學的部份繪畫藏品。這些繪畫主要為廣東藝術家於1940年代的創作,但亦有少部份早至清代 (1644-1914) 和源自其他地區的作品。當中藝術家包括曾是廣東國畫研究會的重要成員。廣東國畫研究會著重於維護和宣揚國畫傳統,是民國時期 (1912-1949) 國內規模較大的畫社之一。其外還有曾研習西畫技巧、和嶺南畫派有關的畫家。這些繪畫至少部份於1947年在紐約國家藝術俱樂部展出,展覽為嶺南學堂畢業生和嶺南分校校長司徒衛先生籌辦。司徒先生熱衷繪畫,他描繪廣州嶺南大學1930至40年代校園風光的水彩作品亦包括在嶺南基金會捐贈的繪畫藏品內,在此另有介紹。

The scroll paintings showcased here is part of a collection of paintings donated to Lingnan University by the Lingnan Foundation based in America in 2008. The paintings were primarily produced by artists from the Guangdong region during the 1940s, but there are also a few examples dated as early as the Qing dynasty (1644-1911) and from other parts of China. The artists represented include former leading members of the Guangdong National Painting Research Society, one of the larger painting associations in China during the Republican era (1912-1949) that aimed to preserve and propagate the traditions of Chinese painting. There are also paintings by artists with training in Western painting techniques and ties with the Lingnan School of Painting. Many if not all of these scroll paintings were exhibited at the National Arts Club in New York in 1947. The exhibition was organised by Mr Szto Wai who was an alumni of Lingnan College and Principal of branches of the University. Mr Szto was also an avid painter. Watercolours by him depicting the campus of Lingnan University in Guangzhou in the 1930s and 1940s are part of the donation from the Lingnan Foundation. They can be seen here.

Szto Wai: Portraits of Lingnan University 1937-1944

Szto Wai – Portraits of Lingnan University 1937–1944

The watercolours and sketches of the original Lingnan University campus in Guangzhou (Canton) in Guangdong Province on the Chinese Mainland were made by Szto Wai from the late 1930s through 1944 and are part of a gift of over 200 works of art from the Lingnan Foundation in America to the University. The watercolours that show the original Lingnan University campus in Guangzhou are undated but would have been made before the campus was evacuated to Hong Kong in 1938 after the Japanese occupation of Guangzhou. The watercolours and sketches of the temporary campus in Taitsuen in northern Guangdong, where the university relocated after the occupation of Hong Kong, are dated from 1942 to 1944 and can be related to scenes described in contemporary letters about the campus that Szto Wai wrote to friends.

Although many have made Lingnan what it is today, it is Dr. A. P. Happer who was instrumental in its creation. Dr. Happer, a graduate of Jefferson (now Washington and Jefferson) College, the Western Theological Seminary, and the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, came to China in 1844 and was one of the founders of the Canton Mission of the Presbyterian Church. Dr. Happer gave up his medical practice to devote himself to furthering education in China and first proposed establishing a college in China that would be modelled on Robert College in Istanbul (1863) and the American University in Beirut (1866), providing western education modelled on the American system. Instruction was to be in both English and Chinese, as Dr. Happer believed that ‘With Mandarin and English the graduates will be citizens of the world’. Although Dr. Happer preferred to establish a school in Beijing or Shanghai, a petition by over 400 leading Chinese from Canton encouraged him to locate the school there. Like Robert College and the American University in Beirut, Lingnan was chartered by the Regents of the University of the State of New York, receiving its charter as the Christian College in China on December 13, 1893. During the Boxer Rebellion in 1900 the College relocated to Macau and then moved to a new campus in Honglok Village (Kangle) on Honam Island in Guangzhou in 1904 and became known as the Canton Christian College. The new school included both Preparatory (Middle School) and Collegiate (University) Departments but the latter took time to attract students, not graduating its first BA until 1918. A Primary Department was established in 1911 by Szto Wai. In the 1920s, responding to increasing nationalism in China, a committee of prominent alumni, Szto Wai among them, suggested to the Trustees that the university divide the Board of Trustees into two parts, one in New York and one in Guangzhou. After legislation in China required colleges and universities to secularize, the university restructured in 1927, creating a Board of Directors and a Chinese administration in Guangzhou that would be responsible for finance and staff and an American Foundation in New York that would own and lease the land to the newly-renamed Lingnan University. Lingnan University in Guangzhou was closed in 1952 and merged into Sun Yat Sen University. It was re-established in Hong Kong by Lingnan alumni in 1967. It moved to its present site in Tuen Mun in Hong Kong’s New Territories in 1995.